Junto Host - Role and Responsibilities
The Host, part of the Presenter-Moderator-Host team, provides the location and general mood for the event and a snack. It is difficult to have a good meeting if the hosting is insufficient. You can have a good presentation and a good moderator, but the meeting can be tainted by a poor hosting situation. We want the members and guests to have a good time and gain insight from the presentation and other guests, but this cannot happen without a good venue and host.
General venue guidelines:
- A covered, outdoor setting that can accommodate 8 to 12 people.
- Privacy for the meeting, a setting where people can speak freely.
- Noise in the area should be minimal to allow play of music and/or multi-media.
- The surroundings should tolerate a certain amount of robust discussion and music.
- Restroom facilities.
- The venue can be very basic but at minimum, it needs to be clean, safe, and private.
Parking and site access:
- Make sure there is room for member and guest cars.
- The host should share specific parking requirements with the Junto secretary, for example: “park in the street”.
- Be clear with the secretary with instructions for meeting access, i.e., “meet around back” or “go to the front door”.
- Generally, the host will provide a moderate snack for the members and guests.
- Example snacks include: BBQ chicken wings or legs, brats or sausages. A veggie tray, peanuts, and chips will also work.
- It is fun to cook for a group, but if you are trying something for the first time, you might want to have a backup plan in place.
- The concept is to keep the cost down while providing basic sustenance.
- The host should work with the Moderator and Presenter to provide sufficient presentation facilities.
- The Presenter may require Internet access, sound, or a monitor for displaying multimedia.
General meeting management:
- In conjunction with other members, it is important to monitor alcohol consumption and when necessary offer Uber or other transportation home.
- The Host will work with the Moderator to manage the meeting closing time.
- Before most guests leave, it is a good idea to announce the date, time, location, and topic for the next meeting. There are more details in the moderator notes.
The success of a meeting depends on the success of the host, moderator, and presenter. As a host, thank you for sharing the meeting space. You are playing an important role in your group. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.